Junonia is headquartered in Minnesota, the land of four seasons. We like to think we know a little bit about winter -- and how to love it.
Some tips for loving winter wherever you are:
- It’s beautiful. Sun glinting, birds you can see in the trees, animal tracks in the snow, stars shining in the crisp air. Enjoy it all.
- It’s not as cold as you might think. A temperature between 10-30 degrees Fahrenheit is perfect for being outside. It’s cold enough to keep everything frozen and warm enough to stay outside for hours.
- Watch the wind. There’s a reason they report the wind chill factor! Always head out into the wind, and return with the wind comfortably at your back. And check out the wind-chill factor and believe it!
- Head, hands and feet. Keep them warm with great insulation, and you’ll stay cozy.
- Layer for comfort. You’ll be ready for anything. Start with a wicking base layer that will keep you dry even when you work up a sweat. Then add insulation that keeps a layer of warmed air next to you like warm, cozy fleece. Then top is off with a wind-breaking layer that can also be opened up to release heat when get hot!
- Be sensible. There are a few days when the only activity that makes sense is a book by the fire and a cup of cocoa.
- Winter is a great time to start a walking program. You’ll love getting outside and you won’t overheat. Just remember to layer and watch the wind.
- Extend your hours even when the days are short by walking with a friend. Walk along a shopping avenue, or head to the mall.
- Try a new sport this winter! Ski areas offer great beginning lessons for adults, downhill and cross country. How about ski-joring with your dog? And there’s always sledding with the kids and an old fashioned snowball fight. You’ll soon find yourself looking forward to snow!